Sunday, May 28, 2006

One week down...


End of week one in Winnipeg. How many to go? No one can tell me for sure. I'm now working on the assumption that I'll be here till the end of September. Which in these parts means winter. Gonna have to get Sara to ship me my parka and mukluks.

In the week I've:

Typed 10,603 words
Eaten a scotch egg
Tossed back an oyster shot (sake, oyster, roe, wasabi -- yum!)
Passed Luke Wilson on the sidewalk
Painted the statue outside my balcony multiple times (Who is Garry, and why does she pine for him so?)

Started reading The Know-It-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World by A.J. Jacobs. As the back cover tells it, "The Know-It-All chronicles NPR contributor A.J. Jacob's hilarious, enlightening, and seemingly impossible quest to read the Encyclopedia Britannica from A to Z." So far thanks to Jacobs I've learned that abalones have five assholes. My goal is to provide the same kind of valuable insights about this city in the upcoming months.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Are you going to include art with every post? Please please!

This one reminds me of the Oscar Wilde children's story about the statue that gives away all his gilding and the jewels in his eyes to the little bird.

6:59 AM, May 29, 2006  
Blogger Carlos said...

Wow sounds like an exciting week and an exciting time. There's nothing quite like reading a blog by a real writer. Abalones?! Five Assholes?! I think i just played hockey with some Abalones.

Also you left something out of what you did this week. I know, cuz you told me about it and maybe the rest of the public would not enjoy your reviews of a sci fi show as much as I. . . and I second the more artwork. We should give you weekly missions to accomplish in your time off and send you a digital camera.

Another blog you may like to link to: http://www.panopticist.com/

3:23 PM, May 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home