Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Like a fridge full of turbid water


Here's the deal: I like Toronto tap water. Winnipeg tap water? Not so much. There's something a little... funky about it. The city's own water website even admits there might be a bit of a problem here:

Manitoba Health and Manitoba Water Stewardship regulate the quality of our drinking water using the Manitoba Drinking Water Safety Act and the Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality .

We have good quality drinking water that usually meets most of the more than 80 guidelines. However, we are not always able to meet the guidelines for turbidity (clearness of the water), odour, and disinfection by-products. Disinfection by-products are formed when chlorine reacts with organic matter (e.g., vegetation) in the water.

How do you like that? "Usually meets most". What the hell does that mean? Does it mean sometimes Winnipeg water meets NONE of the guidelines? That's not encouraging. Coupled with the flavour problem, that's enough to drive a guy to all bottled water, all the time. Which is a problem of its own. Because my bottled water of choice is Gerolsteiner. I like the flavour. I like the packaging. Bold and classy, all the way around. But the local Safeway doesn't carry it. So I have to choose between Perrier and San Pellegrino for my hydration needs (yes, if I drink bottled water I like it bubbly). Neither of which quite measures up.

I thought I'd try to figure out what gives Gerolsteiner its flavour edge. Turns out it has more than double the mineral content of San Pellegrino, and more than quadruple the mineral content of Perrier. What does that say about me? Does it mean I have a mineral defficiency, one that drives me to suckle on the German springwater teat? Would I be better off just licking exposed Canadian Shield?

(Interesting to note that San Pellegrino has such a high sulphate content (549.2 mg/L) that it has laxative properties (which kick in at 500 mg/L). Is this a selling point in Italy? Must be something to do with flushing out all that pasta that tends to bung up the works.)

Luckily, Winnipeg is building a new water treatment plant. So if I stick around until 2007 I'll be able to enjoy water that really meets the national guidelines and is even free of the diarrhea-causing bug Cryptosporidium. Can't wait!

5 Comments:

Blogger Carlos said...

I wish I hadn't read about the crypto stuff. But you're right, there's nothing wrong with Toronto's tap water. Even David Suzuki said that we were crazy to drink bottled water, being surrounded by fresh water as we are in Canada. . . maybe he hadn't been to the Peg?

I saw David Suzuki speak on sustainable seafood a few weeks ago and the week before that Jane Goodall at U of T. I ran into Mark Hall there! forgot to tell you. anyway, both Jane and David were incredibly powerful people to be around.

10:05 AM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

Hi Carlos! I've seen Suzuki speak a few times and he is riveting, isn't he, regardless of what you think of his ego or worth as a scientist. The recent book by Jane Goodall about sustainable eating is well worth a read. Danger, do you think the Ass-Cock could be a giant, mutated form of cryptosporidium? Someone should look into this...

10:26 AM, June 15, 2006  
Blogger Sara said...

I just noticed how hilarious the title of this post is. Sweet, Bear.

9:58 AM, June 16, 2006  
Blogger Jeremy Boxen said...

It's all about the slow burn.

1:47 AM, June 17, 2006  
Blogger Carlos said...

i tried to reply to sara's message up there and it didn't work! let's see if this works.

11:54 PM, June 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home